Monday 30 July 2012

On Yer Bike

Today was another first. I've been thinking for a while I'd like to get more exercise. I'm not really a sporty person although I do enjoy Aquafit sometimes. The rest of the family enjoy cycling and them and some friends have been suggesting for a while that I might like to join them. I've been thinking I might not as I am a little nervous of being in control of anything on wheels (well, apart from a shopping trolley). But riding along the brook on a lovely sunny day does have it's appeal, as does the idea of feeling a little fitter. True, I've not cycled for around 6 years and hate cycling in traffic, but there are lots of cycle paths and wide pavements around here. And I did OK at Centre Parcs, so why not give it a try? So off we go to the bike shop. Apart from the kiddie's ones all the bikes looked huge, with massive wheels and the ground looked a long way from the seat. I begin to have doubts about this idea. "I'm not sure I'm ready for this yet...." I mumble. As my Howard my husband points out, "If you're not ready now, you'll never be ready." He replys. "How about a folding bike?"
Folding bike??? No way on earth! It might fold while I'm riding it. We look at some others and eventaully find some with pink & mauve painted frames. Obviously the ladies bikes. "Ask If you can try one" says Howard. What, and wobble all over the shop making myself look stupid in front of the assistant who looks possibly young enough to be my son. "Don't worry, they're used to people like you" (whatever that means)! We asked the assistant.
"I'll be with you in a minute, just got to find my stapler," he says, looking all round for it, eventually finding it and stapling whatever it was that needed stapling. We asked if I could try some of the bikes, which were all connected together by a cable for security reasons. "OK, just got to find the alarm key" Don't they know where anything is in this shop? Meanwhile, our daughter is busy trying on cycle helmets and finds a nice white one with flowers on for £30.00. The assistant eventually finds the key and gets out one of the bikes I want to try. "This one? It needs tightening, just got to find my spanner." They really don't know where anything is. Once that's been done I sit astride the bike and peddle with my feet on the ground to a wider space. I need a lot of space in order to balance for long enough to get both feet on the peddles at once and don't want to crash into the deplays of cycle helments and reflective clothing. After a few failed attempt I get both feet on and cycle the length of the shop. This is fun!! Suddenly my fears are gone and I can't wait to get out & along the brook, into town or anywhere really. I try to have a sensible conversation with the assistant about how I might need to hire the seat after I become more confident, while daughter messes about standing behind a flourescent jacket pulling silly faces in the background. The assistant tries to sell us a warrenty "Puncture repair as often as you need for £30.00 for year" As Howard points out, a puncture repair kit costs £1.00 in the Pound Shop. We decline. Surely even I won't manage 30 punctures in a year. Then we choose a cycle helmet. The two she likes are white with pretty flowers for £30.00 or a white one with a smashed skull with blood pouring out of it for £19.99. We opt for the pretty flowery one and leave. My bike's being delivered tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment